Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Not the change we hoped for

We received an unexpected email from our agency today. There has been a change in court policies enacted today by the Ethiopian Federal Court. Here's the news:

Beginning today, families need to be prepared to travel to Ethiopia approximately 4 - 8 weeks after receiving a referral in order to be present in Ethiopia for their appointed court date. Families will remain in Ethiopia for roughly 5 -7 days and will then return to the US. After officially passing court, families will then travel back to Ethiopia approximately 10 -12 weeks later to pick up their adopted child(ren).

There are still many details to be worked out, and many questions that the answer people don't even have answers for yet. But I sure have questions that I'm sure will have answers soon enough!

I know we're supposed to give thanks in all circumstances, and I'm trying. But I'll admit that this is pretty discouraging...lately, as folks have been asking me how the process is going, I've responded with "Great! Our dossier is in Ethiopia, and we only have about $8000 left to raise." But this will change that a bit. I've done flight searches from Anchorage to Addis Ababa, and the lowest ticket price I've seen is $2500. Per person. Basically, this change will mean we need at least $5000 more, maybe more.

What can we say? Not much, other than it will keep us on our knees longer-which is always a good thing, and it gives God the opportunity to shine even brighter, right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard about this change from others. I am so so sorry that the road looks to be harder than anticipated. You are so much closer to where you want to be...but I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to see that finish line and not quite reach it :(
best of luck, and my thoughts are with you.

Jill Bruno said...

OH I am so sorry!! That is very frustrating!! So close yet so far.

JJ said...

Oh I am so sorry about this. It certainly makes things more difficult. But God is bigger ( as you know) than any policy. Stay strong my friend!!! ((HUGS))& prayers!!

Jennifer said...

I am sorry you are facing yet another financial burden. Ugh!

There is definitely lots of good news in this, and your finances may not actually take that much of a hit due to the elimination of the readoption fees.

Ironically, it was just yesterday when I was grumblig to myself, "If we adopt from Ethiopia again, we're traveling over pre-court. No more of this IR4 business!" It is one big hassle! Gigi came home on an IR3, and it was so simple! Not to mention, with the IR4, there is all the readoption stuff which requires a lawyer, and upwards of $1-2k extra about 3-6 months after our kiddos come home. No more lawyers or expensive readoption fees (or travel for American court) for an IR3 visa. It's a beautiful thing! :-)

So yeah, needing more money is no good. No good at all. But there are quite a few positives too. Having done it both ways now, if I can help it, I'll never bring home another kid on an IR4. It might be a little more expensive, but in the grand scheme of things it's actually a good thing.

I hope that didn't come across as preachy! I just was hoping to give you a little peace knowing that once you overcome this new obstacle, the benefits are quite positive.